Saturday, June 27, 2015

Christian Veganism: Accountability before God for dietary choice

"If you have men who will exclude any of God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow man."---St Francis of Assisi.

This morning I got up early....and I watched the movie "Veganated" on Netflix.  It broke my heart.  I have been mocked for my vegan philosophy ---and in fact, just this week, ate two meat dishes because I was so hungry I felt that I "needed " that to adequately fill me.  Watching this movie has made it clear to me that veganism is  more than a personal choice.   It is our responsibility.  God gave the creation to our care.  HOW can a  person watch video or look at pictures of what goes on in a slaughter house and claim that that is an acceptable way to treat God's Creation?  it is brutal.  It is painful.  It is unacceptable.

Veganism is more than a person choice for food.  It is our responsibility both to the care of our bodies and to the shelter of God's creation.  I believe God weeps for the defenseless animals and the way they are heartlessly destroyed.

What can I do?  Other than in making alternative food choices and possibly sharing my views to friends....how can I make a change that will solidly benefit this horrific problem?

My parents think that veganism is a religion....that it is part and parcel with Eastern Philosophies. In fact, Adam and Eve were vegan....it was God's choice for them to be so.  It was only after the flood that God allowed mankind to eat animals.  How did it come about that the priests fed on the food of sacrifice?  This is a disturbing question.  In Scripture you read of thousands of cattle being sacrificed.
There is more to be seen in the sacrificial  system than is easily grasped.

All I know is that I want nothing to do with the suffering of farm animals who are killed for their meat or trapped for their milk and eggs.  I do not believe that even cheese will tempt me.  I do not want to cause anyone or anything suffering just so that I might eat it. There are plenty of other options to eat...it is not necessary to maim or slaughter my food.

There are several Christian Vegan/vegetarian agencies.  Of all people groups, Christians should be the most conscious stricken about their food choices.  God gave his Creation into our hands....to protect, care for and sustain....not to maim and kill.  I know I will take heat because of these views.....and that is ok.  If you have anything to say about it, watch the movie "Veganated" on Netflix and then come back and tell me once again that your favorite meal is a Big Mac..

Dr Fuhrman of Eat to Live fame was in this movie also.  He is not in it because he has a bleeding heart.  He is in it because it is the way to prevent so much diet related suffering and death.  He is in it because it is a path of superior nutrition.  The Standard American Diet (SAD) will kill you....and it is a pointless, preventable death.  So you don't have to care about animals.  You DO however have to face the consequences of your dietary choices and also their impact on your family.

I am renewed in my resolve. ETL is the path I must take.  Hunger is  no excuse because vegan food fills just as adequately as does meat. It takes forethought and planning...but it is worth it.

No comments: