Thursday, April 2, 2015

Lost and Found


I lost my glasses last night. Brand new, two-day-old glasses.
God usually opens my eyes and speaks to my heart where my lost items are. But this time He is silent….which makes me understand that this is no ordinary loss.  I think maybe it’s a test.  Ecc. 3:6 says “a time to search and a time to give up as lost.”  I have searched my entire house. Top to bottom.  And now I’ve “given it up as lost”….I do not believe they will be lost forever.  Once God is done with what he is doing here, I will find them again.  Of this I am certain.  Once I lost a pair of glasses in my recliner and they were gone for 6 months…and when I found them they were so bent out of shape they were unusable.
I did not take these glasses for granted.  They were a gift from God’s hand and I recognized that. I rejoiced on Facebook at the miracle through which they were provided.  I celebrated God’s gift and I thanked him profusely.  “The Lord gives and the Lord takes away….blessed be the name of the Lord”….so I know that they have not been removed due to a lack of gratitude.  No, God is doing something else here.  He is showing me how to wait on him and to not give up hope in Him. 
Ps 42:11
Why are you in despair, O my soul? And why have you become disturbed within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God.
Luke 8…the woman who had lost a coin, “lighted a lamp and carefully swept her house.  She didn’t stop searching until she found it…” Then she rejoiced with her neighbors.
I have prayed for God to return my glasses to me.  It was so wonderful to see. And I liked the way they looked.  But God wanted to be my sight. “Be Thou my Vision o Lord of my Heart.  Naught be all else to me save that Thou Art.”  I should not rely on glasses for sight…but on the Lord.  If He is willing he can heal my eyes…or he can return my glasses, or he can protect me from accidents due to not being able to see.
I pray that he returns my glasses.  I trust him that he will do that.  I have ceased to fret—it only leads to evil—and instead am resting in and trusting in my God’s kind and good heart. I know that “he is for me” and not against me. 
Maybe this is just another case of God removing my love for my possessions.  It is my Isaac.  “Take your son, your only son, whom you love….”
I really do want my glasses back…but I am asking God for the grace and the surrendering heart not to hold tightly to anything but his hand….and I am convinced that once I have surrendered, he will return the glasses to me.  Maybe. Or maybe he will keep them hidden so that every time I struggle to see, I will turn to him. I don’t know.  But in any case, I am okay with what he decides.

No comments: