Sunday, April 12, 2015

Finished

Have you ever done anything that haunts you? Even years later, when you think of it you flush with shame and feel like vomiting?  I have.  Something that has weighed on me for years.  I have repented of it--with many tears....but still it torments me.  It comes to mind and I think , "confession was too easy....it cannot possibly be gone from my "account" now"  Today, again, it raised its ugly head and I prayed, "Lord, you know I have repented.  You know I have never again done anything like that.  You know that Jesus paid for this sin....can you please give me a complete rest from this guilt? Can you obliterate it from my account?  Can you make me feel the forgiveness I know I have?"

Shame.

Heb. 12:2  says:
looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
 
 The other day I was thinking of this verse.  I was thinking about how much Jesus hated being on the cross, naked, spit upon, disgraced.....he despised it.

But today the same verse means something a little different to me.   Jesus bore the weight of my sin on his ripped up shoulders.  He bore the shame for me.  And yes, he despised it.  He wore the contempt that I should have worn....all this self hatred I've been bearing, all the guilt, and contempt, he repudiated for me. This guilt is no longer mine.  Jesus took it from me and I am negating the power of the cross if I keep digging it up and gowning myself in it again.

Jesus despised my sin for me.  I do not have to despise myself any longer. I no longer have that sin tucked away in secrecy.  Jesus dragged it out of my closet and bore it in my stead.  And that means one thing:
 
IT IS FINISHED.

No comments: