Thursday, December 4, 2014

Going at “God Speed”


“I've heard that patience is slowing down to the speed of someone else. I've also learned I need to have a little more patience with God and slow down to His pace — the pace He has set for me.”
Christy Mobley

Psalm 27:14, "Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." (NIV)

Just as my parents always rebuked me for my impatience---Just as I’ve always wanted to pull along someone to a speed that suited me more, I have rushed God as well.  God is not in a hurry.  For him, a year is as a minute and a day like a thousand years.  He is not bound by my time controls.  I cannot rush him…and running ahead of him never works either. 

Just as it is rude to finish a slow talker/slow thinker’s sentences for him, it doesn’t do us any good to try to second guess God’s purposes or his next statement.  To do so can only land us in trouble.  How are we supposed to wait?   Toe –tapping? Crossed arms and raised eyebrows?  No. Ps 27 says to “be strong and take heart….and wait.”  It takes strength to wait.  It takes hoping and encouragement.  And these are traits that God wants to develop in us. In me.

I’ve prayed for someone's salvation for 25 years now; actually for 26.  It is HARD to maintain an encouraged hopeful stance after so many “futile” prayers.  It is HARD not to scream out to God “What are you DOING?? ANYTHING??”  It is especially hard to maintain hope when all I see, day after day, is a hard heart—one that curses man and God.  But I do believe God’s promises; and I believe that one day…he will have a changed – a new – heart.  And that may only be IF I do not give up hope, and if I remain strong.

It is easy to do quick sit ups or pushups.  But try to do them in slow motion! Yeouch!  You find muscles crying out that you didn’t even know you owned. And that is the secret to an effective workout.  Do it slowly and smoothly.  Perfect form is the position and speed that will most effectively work strength in you.

"Father slow me down to “Godspeed.”  Encourage my heart and help me to maintain hope."

 Romans 5:3-5New Living Translation (NLT)
We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment.

No comments: