Thursday, October 2, 2014

Everything I Need

Here is today's verse from K-Love's daily verses sent to my email each morning.  Today, I put an X by it intending to put it in the trash before I read it.  And God sent that inimitable call to my heart, "No, this is for you.  READ it,

By his divine power, God has given us everything we need for living a godly life. We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence. 2 Pet. 1:3

Everything I need for living a godly life.  I must not need a healthy body.  I must not need the ability to ride, drive, or fly anywhere.  I must not need a believing husband....I do not need any of these things in order for me to live a holy, godly life.....because God has already provided what I need.
What are some of those things?
  •   His holy Word available in hundreds of translations yet altogether in unity
  •   He's given me a home and  comfortable chair and bed because with the amount of pain I'm in I would never survive an uncomfortable place to put my body.
  • A Bible teaching church whose pastor is loving and who models what a transformed life looks like.
  • He has given me an unbelieving family before whom I am to live the witness of the One who has saved me (and them).
  • And he has given me ears to hear his soft voice directing me, instructing me, encouraging me, loving me.
I'm sure there are more things....so often I feel sorry for myself.  Good grief I cannot get to a grocery store and even if I did, I could not lift the half gallon of almond milk  God told me this morning.  "Cut the pity party!  You want to be holy?? OK then, here I've given you all  you need, now get to work.

And in the end of the verse God spells out exactly how we are to use his provisions. 

We have received all of this by coming to know him, the one who 
called us to himself by means of his marvelous glory and excellence

We need to come to know the Son. and the Father and the Spirit who all want to  know us and they have called to us by means of the amazing glory and excellence.  I need to meditate on that a little more.  I know that it plunges deeper depths than I have yet comprehended.  Lord Jesus, I want to know you...like so many songs say.  Preach to my heart.  Draw me to yourself.  wrap  your arms around me when I am sad or afraid.  Help me to know that no matter what pain and disability may lie in my future...You are right there helping us to grow in godliness and learning how to know You better as You walk with me in the shadow of death.  I fear no evil for my God is with me.

No more complaints.  My goal in life is to look like Jesus....to be a worthy bride for him. And no matter how sick I get  I will always have all I need to become more and more like Jesus.
               ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
congrats to Jan Leree Whidden. for winning the free signed book, Treasures From Darkness which has just been released written by yours truly.  Later this week...say Friday the 3rd we will hold another giveaway.  PLEASE comment....make it a bit more of a challenge to win!!  Comment on Friday's post and you just may win.

No comments: