Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The Good, the Bad, and the Downright Ugly

I know it has been awhile since I've written a post.  These days most of my writing time goes to working  on my manuscript, preparing it for production.  I had my manuscript previewed by the publisher's editing team and here are their comments. :

         
Manuscript’s Strengths

  • Throughout the manuscript, the author uses excellent imagery. There are consistent, original descriptions used to “paint the picture” for the reader. This is unfortunately what a lot of authors do not know how to do, so it is truly a huge strength for the book as a whole.
  • Structurally, the book is well organized. There are appropriate chapter designations, paragraphs, and the book flows in a chronological order.
  • Though some parts of this book may be difficult for some readers to endure, it all is part of the whole, which is a powerful story that shows the sovereignty of God, even through the darkest times.

This is a solid, well written, clean book, so the basic copyedit service is recommended. This edit joins dependent clauses so sentences are clear, and will address capitalization, missing words and formatting. It will also analyze the book for errors in subject-verb agreement and verb tense consistency. The copyedit also corrects general inconsistencies in spelling, grammar and punctuation, and gives the manuscript the final polish it needs to become a professional publication.


They also offered me a couple of ideas on how to tighten things up...mostly in the area of punctuation (Has anyone else noticed that the "rules of punctuation" have drastically changed since, say, 35 years ago?) I really wish I could pay a professional editor, but when I inquired on the price....well....let's just say that I don't have an extra $1300 to spend.  I guess I will have to pull out some of my books on grammar and punctuation for writers and hone my skills at dotting my i's and crossing my t's and then get to work!

I have until Sept 19th to submit my manuscript if I want to have the book done by Christmas.  Keep  your eyes open and check back here to see when I will begin taking orders for the book.. It will also be available as an e-book. but for those of you who love the feel and smell of a brand new book, here's the place to get it!

As for the other issues happening today.  I was invited to a BBQ today---later this evening.  I was very happy to be invited and I would really like to go.  However I know it will involve huge amounts of pain. (someone said to me "a little discomfort is worth it to see your friends"  excuse me?  a LITTLE discomfort?)  I hate invisible illnesses.  I have about 5 of them all swinging from the same nail on the wall.  And a "little discomfort" would be very welcome by me.  Really. It  would.

I have a huge tolerance for pain.  That doesn't mean that I don't FEEL the pain....it just means I can endure great amounts of it.  All of my doctors have commented on that. Especially when they look at my MRIs  or do surgery and see the horrible shape my joints are in.  So no,  I don't moan and groan...I only sometimes cry...but yes It hurts.  It hurts a LOT.  And if I am deprived of my normal methods of dealing with pain...(namely: my recliner and my bed), then the agony becomes indescribable.  So that is why it is SO hard to decide on leaving the house.  Short trips....or church (where there is a comfy recliner for me to use) , those I can manage.  but hours away from respite? I don't know ...I know what it entails ...and I really think I will need to stay home.  Today my Pain d'jour is in my neck and my right hip/SI joint (also I have a broken toe...but that is not a big deal)  I do not look forward to a lonely evening...when all my friends are having good eats and lots of laughs ....I just have to block those thoughts out of my mind.  Forget about what others are doing. And keep my mind occupied on other things.  And BAN jealousy and self pity.  NO.  Those are the UGLIES and I will not give them room in my heart.  I will thank God....for my recliner and bed.  I will thank him - that this life is not forever.  I will praise him because soon I will have a new body without rickety joints.  And I will thank him for each friend I have and be glad that they are having a good time.

No comments: